Translate

August 11, 2013

Pretty, Much

The other day while hiking my usual trail and avoiding the ubiquitous poison oak I realized that, hey, poison oak is kinda pretty. As I admired from afar how the leaves are now starting to change from green to brilliant red it got me thinking about how although it was pretty, it can cause anyone who comes in contact with it a whole lot of irritation. And then of course my mind started churning, as it does, and it came to the topic of physical beauty.

Like it or not, we all – to some extent – judge one another based on our version of physical attractiveness. A lot has been written about our aversion to what we find unattractive, but what about our aversion - or irritation - to what we find too attractive? Yes, it’s there, and we judge people based on that as well. This came glaringly home to me the other day when I realized that I judged someone’s actions by being surprised at their depth. I realized that I had expected them to be more shallow, because well, they’re pretty. I also realized that I’ve had this negative judgment in the past, whereby I’ve assumed that someone with above average looks probably hasn’t suffered nearly as much as the rest of us run-of-the-mill folks. Now how shallow is that?! I’m actually embarrassed to admit such thoughts, but hey, I try to be as transparent as possible for the sake of my own evolution.

We all know that oftentimes “the beautiful people” get in doors that may be shut to others simply because of their looks. But this beauty, or perceived advantage, can be threatening those around them, and it gives rise to the potential of their being ousted from a group because of it. I’ve witnessed this type of situation and it’s so disheartening. Although it might seem like this is mostly a female trait, I know that it can happen with men, because I’ve seen it. I’ve also known women and men pushed out of careers by from not abiding their boss’s advances. They were punished for their attractiveness. You’d think that it wouldn’t happen in this day and age, but it does.

It all boils down to, as many of my previous posts speak of, getting past our outer casings and letting go of our attachment to them. We need to view ourselves first by who we are at a soul level. By releasing the attachment we have to our own looks, we lesson our attachment to the looks of others, and see them for who they really are. Then you open the capacity to better understand if a threat is actually a threat, or merely a judgmental thought.  And let’s face it, looks change, but the soul that comes shining through our eyes is the most beautiful thing anyone can wear. Don’t you think?

Here’s to you, in all of your beautiful glory.

With Love.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

From Over There:
“Do not be attached to the current standards of beauty thrust upon you. For it is an ever-changing social norm and nothing more. It is not based in reality. The reality of your beauty lies within your willingness to see and be seen, to understand and to be understood, to hear and be heard through the perspective of love. Love is the ultimate expression of beauty. Without a loving heart the physical self is like an empty shell waiting to be filled.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Featured Guest: Eva Cassidy
This week’s featured guest is the late Eva Cassidy singing What a Wonderful World. To me it reflects the beauty of her spirit that she so graciously shared while here.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

If you'd like more information, to book an appointment, or check out the current class schedule, please visit molliejensen.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment