Translate

January 19, 2014

I Have a Dream

This week’s post is dedicated in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his dream of racial equality. Although we’ve come a long way, there’s still plenty more to go, and when I reflect on his dream I like to think that it has unfolded to include all races, genders and sexual orientations. To put it bluntly, I don’t look at his message as just a black and white issue, but as an overall human issue.

I recognize that being white has brought me a level of social privilege and that being straight has meant that I haven’t had to fight for the right to express my love in the way I see fit. And I also am acutely aware that – aside from being female – I haven’t really had to define myself by race or sexual orientation as a means to overcome social or judicial bias. Though one thing that has always bothered me are titles like “African-American” and “gay marriage”. Shouldn’t I then be defined as a Scandinavian-American who used to be in a straight marriage? Shouldn’t we all have to subscribe to the same structured definitions? Better yet, no definitions? I know, easy for me to say as I sit here living in the liberal-peace-love-and-understanding mecca of the US, but it’s just a thought. And you know what? I can dream too…

Sweet dreams to you all.

With Love.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

From Over There:
“To be exclusive of any segment of humanity based upon gender or ethnicity creates a fractured sense of wholeness within oneself. To be exclusive of those whose lifestyle conflicts with one’s sense of morality – when the behavior deemed offensive brings harm to no one – creates a state of separateness in viewpoint upon the world and a skewed sense of moral judgment. This creates a world view not solely based on love, but one of fear and need for retribution. This moves one further away from love and further away from a connection with the spirit. It is in recognition of the interconnectedness of all that one forges a deeper relationship to the spiritual aspect of oneself. It is through this connectedness that brings understanding and a harmonious existence for all.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Featured Guest: Dr. Marin Luther King, Jr.
Here is a link to Dr. King’s famous speech, “I Have a Dream”. I’d like to think that today this dream to move to a more just and inclusive society includes equality for everyone, regardless of skin color, sexual orientation, gender, or spiritual beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment