Translate

June 16, 2013

Just Say It

Many years ago I was in a relationship where I didn’t feel safe to express my true feelings. It was stifling, and most often I kept things to myself for fear of retaliation. One night while I was particularly frustrated I went on a drive (I know, probably not the best course of action) to clear my head. As I drove I started yelling all of the things that I wasn’t able to say. It came pouring out. As I was doing this I suddenly heard a booming voice say, “The truth will set you free.” Uh, what…??? It was about this time that I decided to pull over and catch my breath. This was, by the way, years before I had any idea that I’d be talking to anyone ‘over there’ on a regular basis, so I was thrown totally off guard.

As I sat by the side of the road (much safer) the phrase, “The truth will set you free” kept playing over and over in my head. An insanely simple concept, but it was still a scary thought and it would be some time before I fully embraced it as a way of life. Nowadays I have absolutely no problem speaking my mind. I firmly believe in complete honesty and have been known to rile things up from time to time because of it. Honestly, I really don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or leave them feeling attacked, though the truth can sting sometimes.

I’ve been in the position of both the sting-er and the sting-ee, and have discovered over the years that honesty – while it might make for uncomfortable interactions in the present – is so much easier in the long run. It’s the only way to fully process and move through challenging emotions like anger, fear, jealousy and frustration. As the human beings that we are, we all have these feelings and if we want to get through to the other side it first takes an honest view of ourselves, followed by honest expression with others. As corny as it sounds, at the end of the day the best policy really is honesty. And yes, we can all handle the truth – if we allow.

Yours Truthfully.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

From Over There:
“When one denies the truth, one denies the freedom of the soul. Unspoken emotions continue to build and cause chaos within the body and mind. It is of utmost importance to forge relationships where one is allowed to express freely. The relationship initiated on the suppression of one’s expression creates a weak foundation no possibility for continual longevity and happiness. Only through honest interaction can a true relationship be built.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Featured Guest: Bye Bye Birdie
I’m being a little on the silly side with this week’s “Featured Guest”. It’s a clip from one of my favorite childhood movies, Bye Bye Birdie. The movie oozes with over-the-top campiness, and the clip is of the song Honestly Sincere. If nothing else, sit back and enjoy and costumes!  

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

If you'd like more information, to book an appointment, or check out the current class schedule, please visit molliejensen.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment