Translate

June 23, 2013

It Appears to Me...

Have you ever assumed something about someone, just to find that you were totally off base? Or in reverse, had assumptions made about you? We all have moments where we don’t verbalize something, whether we’re feeling intimidated or have preconceived judgments about someone that keeps us from wanting to communicate. It reminds me of an experience I had some years back when I got in a sledding accident and did a major face plant into a rock buried under the snow. The outcome was a very bruised and swollen face that had me looking like I had just gotten out of the ring with the heavyweight champion of the world. Not exactly a pretty look, but thankfully not permanent damage.

At the time I worked in an office and had a position where I would travel a little here and there for meetings and whatnot, and a few days after the accident had me flying to Los Angeles by myself for one such event. I did my very best to cover the bruising, but there wasn’t much that could be done about the swelling so I went ahead, donned my most professional attire and held my head high while attempting to act like nothing was wrong. Wow, what an experience!

The way I was treated astounded me. People constantly stared at me then quickly looked away when they noticed that I had caught them, and all the while I could feel the assumptions as to how I got in that condition. No one took the time to ask if I was ok or needed help, just nervously stared. It was a huge eye-opener (not so easy through the swelling) for me on how we all make assumptions based on what we’ve experienced, and how that affects our ability and inability to reach out to one another. Since then, I’ve done my best to check myself when sizing someone up before knowing their full story. Sometimes the simplest remedy when you’re unsure of another’s situation is to ask. It definitely would have made things easier for me that day.

Here’s to keeping the lenses upon which we view the world as clean as possible and our ability to connect with one another sparkly clear!

With Love.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

From Over There:
“Perception of another takes places through each individual’s unique lens. No two individuals view reality in the same way. Some will be more aligned with one another, some will have views that are in opposition of one another.  Personal perception occurs from experiences and how one relates to them. Even within the same familial structure there will be variant types awareness, given each member’s personality and role within the group.

It is to understand another that one needs to decipher whether opinion comes from present circumstance or lens of previous experience. It is in doing so that those with variant points of view can build harmonious relationship and peaceful interactions.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Featured Guest: Bob Marley
Here’s an upbeat little song from Mr. Marley to help raise our Positive Vibration

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

If you'd like more information, to book an appointment, or check out the current class schedule, please visit molliejensen.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment