Translate

August 24, 2014

Talkin’ About a Revolution

I like to use this blog as a forum to give a different perspective on difficult issues and hopefully inspire a more open-minded and open-hearted view. Through awareness of another’s reality, we can create greater understanding and compassion, and hopefully change. This week, I’m focusing on the importance of compassion from the uncomfortable lens of racism that I have personally witnessed.

I’m not talking about the extreme acts of racism in the Middle East and Ferguson that are being blasted at us through the media, but instead on the more subtle ways our society perpetuates the degradation of particular races of people. These quieter acts often go unnoticed by those who seemingly have the advantage through race, or gender or sexual orientation since it’s not in their scope of reality. I’m going to share a few of my experiences to show how insidious this form of racism is.

1)    My good friend and colleague and I were having lunch at the airport, waiting for our flight after a business meeting. The waitress came up to our table, turned her back to my friend and asked me what I wanted to order, never making eye contact with my friend or acknowledging her in any way. I ordered, yet was very confused about what was happening. My friend casually called out her order, even though the waitress was still very purposefully ignoring her. I was appalled and sharply asked the waitress if she got my friend’s order. She nodded to me, “yes”, and then walked away without ever acknowledging my friend. I was enraged and tried to talk to her about it. She just shrugged it off like it was no big deal, saying “I just want to have a quiet lunch.”
2)    I went with a DJ friend of mine to a club where he was going to be spinning. He attempted to have a conversation with the club owner about his upcoming scheduled gigs and the owner was very condescending and dismissive.  When my friend stepped away for a minute, the club owner proceeded to hit on me. Needless to say, I was very dismissive to the club owner, and when I later brought it up to my friend, he said sometimes you have to put up with a few a-holes here and there.
3)    I was in a department store looking through racks of clothes and I glanced around and saw what looked like a mother with her teenage daughter, also shopping. I didn’t give it much thought until I noticed the store clerk not so subtly shadowing them. She was looking at them like she’d already decided that they were going to try and steal. I saw absolutely nothing in the way this woman and her daughter were acting that put off the vibe of anything other than honest clothes shopping. I saw the tired expression on the woman’s face while she was over polite to the clerk in an attempt to diffuse any threat that she and her daughter presented.  

Can you imagine having to put up with this type of behavior day in and day out? I’ve certainly experienced derogatory acts as a female, but extremely rarely because of the color of my skin. For those of you who have never had to worry about being perceived in a certain way simply because of your skin color, or your gender, or your sexual orientation, it can be hard to fathom such things happening in this day and age, but they do. And by the way, each of the situations above happened in California, in areas considered tolerant of diversity.

It’s these everyday acts of racism that perpetuate feelings of powerlessness and frustration in certain fractions of society, and it’s up to each and every one of us to change this. We must all become more aware of these acts of racism directed toward our sisters and brothers, and through this awareness demand change. Let’s call the offenders out on their actions Let’s let go of any guilt, shame, or defensiveness we may be carrying if we’re labeled as having some sort of privilege, and instead use the leverage we have to help equal the scales. It’s time for compassion and understanding. We’re better than this, I know we are.  It’s time.

Holding faith in the human race…

With Love.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

From Over There: 8.24.14 Weekly Focus
Live by the law of compassion. This is the only true law in which to govern your actions by. The human laws that you impose upon yourselves are simply structures that represent current cultural beliefs. It is the evolved mindset that steps past these structures when they are divisive or promote inequitable treatment to members of society. Governing yourself in a state of compassion is the way to promote equality for oneself and all.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

This week’s question:

Q: How can those who are in a position of advantage within the structures of a society gain greater understanding of those who may be treated as a lesser valued member of that society? How can we all use this understanding to change the cultural dynamic to a more level playing field?

A. When one accepts responsibility for the well-being of all then one understands the power of their own actions. As each individual shifts their perspective of viewing the planetary population as one global community, then one by one, change can occur. It is for those in the position of the perceived advantage to allow the potential for discomfort when awareness of the truth sets into consciousness. This is not to promote shame, it is to use the power of the perceived advantage to bring awareness to the inequity. It is to release any attachment to the perceived advantage and understand that doing so will bring balance to the whole. When one is attached to the perceived advantage they hold, it promotes fear and blocks the flow of abundance. Holding onto the perception of advantage blocks emotional and spiritual growth. To bring balance to the whole is the path to true abundance and enlightenment for all.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

NOTE: If you have a question that you'd like a channeled answer to, please send it in. I'll first respond privately and then post the answer in this blog, anonymously, of course. Thanks & Blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment